Swedish massage is a lighter massage than deep tissue massage and is extremely pleasant and relaxing. It generally isn't so effective for targeting back pain. However, the general relaxation quality of the massage can feel very healing.
Joy uses a combination of strokes as explained below, this is generally performed as a whole body massage and can be either 60 or 90 minutes as preferred.
Swedish Massage Strokes
- Effleurage: Gliding strokes with the palms, thumbs and fingertips
- Petrissage: Kneading movements with the hands, thumbs and fingers.
- Friction: Circular pressures with the palms of hands, thumbs and fingers
- Vibration: Oscillatory movements that shake or vibrate the body
- Percussion: Brisk hacking or tapping
- Passive and active movements: Bending and stretching the body